The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:54 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hello everyone. I’m new to the board and I ended up here hoping to find some answers to many questions. I am a Watch enthusiast and with each brand, comes it’s own set of terms and lingo. I’m pretty well versed on the various terminology associated with the other brands I own, but as my affection for Panerai grows, every time I see a new Paneword I wonder what it means. I do a quick search and sometimes answers are readily available, sometimes not. But either way, I end up spending an insane amount of time reading about watches in general and Panerai in particular.

I came here hoping there’d be a pinned reference post but there not. If there is one floating around please direct me toward it, if not, I think it would be great to start one. I know this can be a lot for my first post, but there are so many Panewords, that I was hoping for that singular reference post. Some of the terms might be basic, especially if you’re familiar with Panerai but some of them might be a little more difficult to figure out.

So far, my exploration into Panerai has caused me to look up and learn terms (and their meanings) like:
-Base
-Luminor
-Radiomir
-Submersable
-Sly Tech
-Daylight dial
-OP or “logo dial” or just OP logo
-non-matching dial
-Pre v
- ceramica
- Destro

Just to name a few. And these are just a list of terms off the top of my head that I heard and researched on my own. These might seem basic or obvious to those of you already very familiar with the brand. But when just starting out and first getting bit with the Panerai bug, these details can be overwhelming and cause someone to get lost and feel overwhelmed in the details. Or is that just how it is in the Panerai-world? Too much to list.

Mainly, my focus is terms that are specific to Panerai but not necessarily watches in general (like there is no need for terms like GMT, Chronomoter, chronograph and other terms that apply to watches in general).

So in my introduction post, I just wan to say hello and introduce myself. Also, as I hear more terms associated with Panerai but don’t know their meaning, I’ll probably be continuing to ask them here. Unless I do find that reference post somewhere.

It’s a pleasure to be here.