The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pam 441 Ceramic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Hi guys,

after a long radio silence and waiting for the next super Pam I have bought the Pam 441 a few days ago.

Originally I had set my eyes on the Pam 386 but as most of you probably know, this watch was never released. Apparently the composite material failed in various aspects, mainly discoloration of the body after wearing for some time.

Anyway, I am very happy with my new Pam and believe that I made the right choice.

The picture below is of course not my creation, I found it through google, but I am working on sending my own across soon.

Post subject: Re: Pam 441 Ceramic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:42 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Congratulations, an excellent looking watch if not to my taste, enjoy 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congrats on the new acquisition! The 441 is a beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Judging from the overall unenthusiastic response from this forum I guess that no one else here is into ceramic?

That's a bit surprising since there is a long waiting list for this watch, so demand must be high.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:46 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

panamore wrote:
Judging from the overall unenthusiastic response from this forum I guess that no one else here is into ceramic?

That's a bit surprising since there is a long waiting list for this watch, so demand must be high.

I don't believe there is any real indifference to your watch. This place i like but it is pretty quiet unfortunately and doesn't seem to attract contributors as much as i would personally like to interact with.

If i may comment further? I think the 441 and it's bracelet counterpart are different and undoubtedly clever in how they are achieved. I like the overall concept but, i do not personally like being told what i already know, 'CERAMICA' on the dial is a totally unnecessary embellishment that i do dislike. As with some other models, Panerai's sudden need to add fussy and unwanted lettering and numbers on cases and rehaut rings is putting me off frankly.

Ceramic watches are not really core Panerai's despite being clever and innovative and i would suggest the lack of response to your post is that many brand followers are not jumping on this particular band wagon and perhaps most of the excitement is from watch buyers who simply buy what they like and aren't devoted to the Panerai brand as many others are? Just a thought, and my opinion only of course.

If you like your 441 that is all that matters. I don't personally dislike it but would not buy one as i prefer other models and principally historic manual wind models, the one exception for me being a 382 which utilises the same movement as your 441 of course.

Just enjoy your watch :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like it just fine, but like baz said.. this forum is a quiet place unfortunately :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Baz1950 wrote:
panamore wrote:
I don't believe there is any real indifference to your watch. This place i like but it is pretty quiet unfortunately and doesn't seem to attract contributors as much as i would personally like to interact with.

If i may comment further? I think the 441 and it's bracelet counterpart are different and undoubtedly clever in how they are achieved. I like the overall concept but, i do not personally like being told what i already know, 'CERAMICA' on the dial is a totally unnecessary embellishment that i do dislike. As with some other models, Panerai's sudden need to add fussy and unwanted lettering and numbers on cases and rehaut rings is putting me off frankly.

Ceramic watches are not really core Panerai's despite being clever and innovative and i would suggest the lack of response to your post is that many brand followers are not jumping on this particular band wagon and perhaps most of the excitement is from watch buyers who simply buy what they like and aren't devoted to the Panerai brand as many others are? Just a thought, and my opinion only of course.

If you like your 441 that is all that matters. I don't personally dislike it but would not buy one as i prefer other models and principally historic manual wind models, the one exception for me being a 382 which utilises the same movement as your 441 of course.

Just enjoy your watch :P

Baz,

I really appreciate your valuable comments and you have a point with some of your remarks.

"Ceramica" was probably added to the watch face to distinguish from some of the older models which sported just the ordinary and non-scratch proof PVD coating. Therefore I am personally quite happy to have a watch not to be confused with one of those.

I remember the time when the Black Seal was introduced and everybody was drooling over it, but the trend seems to have changed.

I have to admit that initially I disliked the numbering of the indices but after looking at the pictures over and over again the watch was slowly growing on me.

You are quite right by saying that what really matters is that I personally enjoy the watch. In this respect I have always been an adversary by not following the general opinion and fashion trend. Quite a number of forum members seem to choose a watch by following the opinion of the hardcore watch aficionados, rather than their own intuition and likes. Maybe with the hindsight of selling the watch later without suffering a heavy loss?

In any case I bought this watch entirely for my own selfish pleasure and only wish that I could share my enthusiasm with hopefully a couple of more guys who want to set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

That is a damn fine looking piece! Well done.
The strap looks great.

I'd love to have the PAM438, just to have the bracelet as well.

Hope you enjoy it now, after waiting so long to have it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

panamore wrote:
In any case I bought this watch entirely for my own selfish pleasure and only wish that I could share my enthusiasm with hopefully a couple of more guys who want to set themselves apart from the rest of the crowd.

Damn right! Watches really should only be purchased for one's own selfish pleasure, and not to try and impress those around them! Unfortunately, it seems like many of the Panerai "elite" collectors seek the latter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I'm new here. Hello everyone.
Just would point out that the 360 "BBQ" was a similar look, PVD case.
As noted, a watch should be bought for yourself, not to necessarily impress others.
I'm gonna go for the new brown composite 505, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

saw one up close at the watchtme show in chicago a few months ago....for some it's nice, for me not so much.

enjoy and wear it in good health

and ps, this place has turned into a ghost town

chicago, usa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah.. its been really quiet here. Just got back from a vacation myself yesterday.

We do get little spurts here and there, but nothing sustained.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Just wondering how the original poster, Panamore is getting on with his 441?
You still loving it. It could well be the one I go for.
How's it wearing? Has the Ceramic case faired well?
Sorry for all the questions ... I'm very curious as I can find little info about it online.
Finally any recommendations for sites / forums to check out while i research my 1st Panerai purchase.
cheers eske

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:44 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

I just bought a 441 and I love it. I don't follow the purist. If I like something I usually buy it. I can't assist the Panerai newbie since I just recently purchased it. Maybe after a couple of moths wearing it I can give an assessment. I don't see a lot of guys wearing ceramic or black case Panerai's.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't see Ceramic Pams much either, and would love to get one. Just out of my price range right now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

beautiful timepiece. Black ceramic on a Panerai is a beautiful sight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:11 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I'm in the process of trying to find one, hopefully within the next few days. The 312 went a couple of years ago but I really want something different and I think this fits the bill!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:04 pm 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

paneraisource wrote:
panamore wrote:

Damn right! Watches really should only be purchased for one's own selfish pleasure, and not to try and impress those around them! Unfortunately, it seems like many of the Panerai "elite" collectors seek the latter.

Yep. There are some fora *ahem* that have participants that almost seem more enthused about rushing to the Internet to post their new acquisition for others to ogle rather than for their own pleasure. Always buy pieces for yourself. Watches in particular have varied strong -- note I didn't say informed -- opinions around each brand and model. Don't worry about that too much.

That's a nice piece.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.. there are lots of society and cultures where money and access buys respect. Unfortunately, the internet is one of those.