The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PAM 312
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:22 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

It was something like 10 years ago that I was travelling through asia and picked up this great looking watch, but it wasn't until I got home and did some research and discovered the world of Panerai.

That one's long gone but now I finally ready to get the real deal, and I think I'm going with a PAM 312. I like the 1950 shape, black sandwich dial and inhouse movement. I do like the dome glass on the PAM 233 but haven't seen this one in person, and not sure if I'd pay the extra for it.

I'd like to hear feedback from anyone who has a 312, or was considering it but went with another PAM.

Also, the one I'm looking at is a O series, which I believe is the current series, but I don't really understand how this work. Does it mean that Panerai will release a P series in 2013 and is it work waiting for the latest series?

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: PAM 312
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

I have the 312 and love the cleaner dial, the 233 is also nice but is it worth paying the extra? Only you can decide that. You also need to consider automatic or manual as the 312 is auto, the 233 manual.

Yes, P is out next year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

Hello and welcome :)

I've had both the 233 and 312 and found them quite different. If you need or desire a second time zone facility then only the 233 will really do. If that is not a necessary consideration then i would comment as follows.

The 233 has a lovely domed dial, wears flatter on the wrist though overall is a similar height. I liked the watch i bought new (so called original solar dial) but had hassle with it as many other early example 233 owners did. I liked it but would not buy another.

The 312 is 'cleaner' has some recorded issues though nothing like the 233 and of course is significantly cheaper. I found it top heavy which drove me mad so i sold it.

If it's an option i found the 351 a very nice compromise and much preferred the Ti weight/gold hands/brown dial combination, superb and lovely. I don't still have it but not because it didn't like it.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

I have the 351 & the 112. The 351 seems about as heavy as the 112 and wears a lot taller. The 112 is much more comfortable on the wrist. I personally prefer the manual wind PAMs for some reason and have often considered the 233. For me, a manual wind PAM 112 is easily a daily wear watch. The 351 is not, at least not for me.

For me the perfect PAM Luminar would be a cross between the 112 and the 233. I have no need for a gmt or dial power reserve (I would prefer it on the back) but would like a date function.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love the 233 and have spent some time with the 233, 312 and own a 320 myself. The 233 definately wears much flatter on the wrist due to the thinner manual winding movement. The horizontal power reserve is a distraction to some, however.

I ended up with the 320 because I liked the extra complications without the extra distractions on the dial.. all it really adds is a GMT hand on the front with a cool hidden power reserve on the back and a seconds reset feature. Between the 312 and 233 I would take the 233 over the 312 without thinking. The domed glass is very cool.. it does skew the sightline of the dial but in a good, vintagey way.