The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Well, Here Goes
Im a current Rolex Sub & Oyster owner and am getting my 1st PAM for my 50th BDay.
Here are my major questions, Any and ALL hel greatly appreciated.
I seem to be concentrating on the Luminor Marina series and prefer the following:
Automatic with a White, Blue or Brown Dial and all with a Date Display (as my Sub I have 2 with black already) Not sure about size 40, 42 or 44mm.

1 - I like the idea of being able to swap the steel (or titanium) braclets for leather straps whenever I wish. Is this feasible, are all of these easily interchangeable?? I would likely buy metal with watch and then simply add leather or exotic straps over time.

2 - Movements, as I want an automatic, is there any issues with one movement over another withing the PAM models?

3 - Presentation of solid back, other than the look, any advantages or disadvantages?

4 - Case Materials, Steel vs Titanium?? Is one more durable than the other, lighter, etc.
I know the gloss vs satin look and am still undecided.

5 - I live close to NY City so I can visit Tournau and the Botique which I plan to do soon, but want to go there with a little education. I am not certain of what my buying method will be but am open to suggestions as it is a Major purchase and would like the safety of an AD but need to understand what's involved if not purchased directly from an AD as well.

Thanks in advance again for any and all comments concerning these questions & concerns. :?:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GADGETEMT wrote:
Well, Here Goes
Im a current Rolex Sub & Oyster owner and am getting my 1st PAM for my 50th BDay.
Here are my major questions, Any and ALL hel greatly appreciated.
I seem to be concentrating on the Luminor Marina series and prefer the following:
Automatic with a White, Blue or Brown Dial and all with a Date Display (as my Sub I have 2 with black already) Not sure about size 40, 42 or 44mm.

1 - I like the idea of being able to swap the steel (or titanium) braclets for leather straps whenever I wish. Is this feasible, are all of these easily interchangeable?? I would likely buy metal with watch and then simply add leather or exotic straps over time.

2 - Movements, as I want an automatic, is there any issues with one movement over another withing the PAM models?

3 - Presentation of solid back, other than the look, any advantages or disadvantages?

4 - Case Materials, Steel vs Titanium?? Is one more durable than the other, lighter, etc.
I know the gloss vs satin look and am still undecided.

5 - I live close to NY City so I can visit Tournau and the Botique which I plan to do soon, but want to go there with a little education. I am not certain of what my buying method will be but am open to suggestions as it is a Major purchase and would like the safety of an AD but need to understand what's involved if not purchased directly from an AD as well.

Thanks in advance again for any and all comments concerning these questions & concerns. :?:

All Panerai's make it relatively easy to swap straps and bracelets.

There are some models that have had a couple more problems than others, but most of the kinks have been mostly worked out. I wouldn't buy one model over another just because of the movement.

Back - If you like to see the movement, I guess its important. Most Panerai models have exhibition backs.. its only the lower end or some odd special editions that have solid backs.

Titanium is lighter in weight, and darker in color. Its kind of a personal preference here.

Hope that helps!