The Panerai Source Forums

The Ultimate Panerai Discussion Forum!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

Hi there, do you think the date and numbers/pointers (sorry i don't know the correct term for this :|) on this Panerai watch are large enough for older people?

I'd like to know this because my father has trouble reading without his glasses and to read the watch he needs to put on his glasses or further his wrist away. So I was thinking it'd be nice if he could have a watch that allows him to read it more easily.

Does this make any sense?

Or if you could pls recommend me some other watches with big numbers and date, but not necessarily with a large diameter, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 am 
Panerai Aficionado
Panerai Aficionado

In my opnion, any of the Panerai Base or Contemporary models would fit the bill in terms of easy of reading.

The simpler the movement, the easier it is to read - simply because there aren't the date or small seconds complications, plus there all the 'cardinal' numbers present on the dial (3,6,9,12)

Take a look at this 'Logo' or PAM00000 for example - sheer simplicity

However, I find the Luminor Chrono possibly the worst because, for me, the dial is too 'fussy' - check out the 250/251 below

(Although the 251 (Ivory dial) is possibly easier to read...)

In terms of diameter, pretty much all the Luminors are 44mm (although there are 40mm versions of certain models)

Another question you will have to ask is whether or not the seconds and or the date are necessary - as mentioned before, they complicate the dial, but your father might need these.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as non-Panerai suggestions, I recently went through this situation with an uncle of mine. I ended up helping him purchase an IWC Portuguese 5001 in solid rose gold. It has arabics all the way around the dial which makes reading time much easier for him. Size is a bit big on that one but it does suit him. The smaller portugueses might work well for you. Some other watches with arabics include Rolex models, lots of Blancpain watches do, as well as Daniel JeanRichard. Pilot watches also have the arabics like the IWC pilots.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 am 
Panerai Regular
Panerai Regular

Best watch for anyone who has trouble reading is a MINUTE REPEATER.

however if $ is an issue, yes, Panerais are a great choice cuz of the huge numbers on the dial

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 pm 
Panerai Newbie
Panerai Newbie

hepi wrote:
Hi there, do you think the date and numbers/pointers (sorry i don't know the correct term for this :|) on this Panerai watch are large enough for older people?

I'd like to know this because my father has trouble reading without his glasses and to read the watch he needs to put on his glasses or further his wrist away. So I was thinking it'd be nice if he could have a watch that allows him to read it more easily.

Does this make any sense?

Or if you could pls recommend me some other watches with big numbers and date, but not necessarily with a large diameter, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

definitely yes, the digits are big enough for an old man. so dont hesitate.